Saturday, July 12, 2008

UNCHANGING

O' Europe,
Our Mother Earth was always young, before your people came,
came and were greeted as friends,
came but ached to create of our lives and our homeland, an abattoir

Now Mother Earth is old and weak and moans in the heart of night,
and weeps at the dawning

Vast rivers that danced, crashing to the ocean for all seasons,
are dry
and often clouds of dust come from them,
as ancient winds whisper to perishing Earth

Mountains are scarred
and now a victim, they bleed

Forests that dwelled in soft beauty
during the seasons of my Great-Grandmother,
are blotted from earth
by a greedy hand

The vast and beautiful valley of my birth
is divided and is now private possession.
In captivity
it trembles from this gnarled thinking.

O' Europe, you witnessed this vast land
the beauty,
the wonder,
the people balanced with nature

Emerging from imbalance,
you were not prepared to encounter balance
and you identified beautiful life as "neglect,"
then set your unclean selves to improving it

Your son, Columbus, 500 years ago,
began your heinous activiuty by kidnapping my people
to deliver to a Queen
to be used for slaves or living pieces of her museum.
after killing the people of many villages to do so

O'Europe, you and your descendants are unchanging!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm so, so sorry we did this. I would give anything to undo it all.

I feel like I've killed my best friend. My group was so blind with ambition we stabbed our loved ones and our friends and didn't realize what a horrible thing we had done until it was too late. We thought it would get us somewhere, that if we could only make the whole world line up with our way of living, things would stop being so painful. That the wounds we've been carrying as a people would go away if we could just get everything, fill this blackhole inside with so much stuff and so many 'things' that it would be satisfied and go away. Instead we managed to rip apart a beautiful people and force our monster and our emptiness onto them.

Every time I think about what's happened it makes sick. I couldn't even tell you how much I want to make things better.

Whatever happened wrong to us to make us such an empty, sick people, it wasn't your problem and I wish we had kept it inside instead of inflicting it on the people of America. I don't know how this happened. I feel like I'm looking down at a knife, seeing the look of shock and sadness on my friend's face and only too late realizing what a horrible thing I've done. That I was welcomed and loved and when I got so caught up in my ambition to find happiness, I destroyed the one thing that could have stopped the loneliness and the emptiness and made me whole. My group screwed up unforgivably badly and I'm so, so, so sorry.

I know many of the native peoples are still around. And the Indian communities are starting to regrow, to restore some part of the traditional ways. It's beautiful to see. It's always seemed like a magnificent tree that's been cut down, kicked, beaten to try to kill it, yet years later a few small, healthy leaves are regrowing. For the rest of the world I think some of the things that were known are still around in the minds of people in secret, unable to make their presence known because the environment is too hostile to let them appear, hiding between the lines the way the rainbow colors hide in the light until a prism splits them. Even with these desperate times the Indian peoples have been able to bundle some of the most important things they know and slip them under the door, hidden out of sight but still in some way continued. It's devastating how much has been lost. But something of it is still there, something that has left its imprint in a million ways on the world.


Your poem made me cry. I love you and I love all the people.