Saturday, July 5, 2008

500 Years Dwelling Among Savages, Listen! The beating drums of the gathering nations

Memorial Day 1970
4-Corners

LISTEN!

Listen! The beating drums of the gathering nations

Great Mystery, Great wonder
The-one-who-makes
the flight of the eagle
the clouds over forest and mountains
the salmon to return to rumbling waters
is speaking to many hearts

The time is ripe
as earth is ripe in spring
to gather all people together

In hanging shade of weeping willow
Grandfather of all nations spoke,

“The time now is as the time long ago
when we gathered in the peaceful valley
to prepare to run the buffalo

Earth was young then
Standing on a hill top
The eyes could see rivers of black buffalo
Across the gold and green of the grass land
My heart knew much excitement

“In the evening near the dancing fire arrowheads were made
the lance was polished
knives were honed
bows were tested for strength

“Through the night there was much dancing
and speaking to Great Wonder, Great Spirit

“Silver of first light there was excitement in our hearts
The excitement grew as the sun grew,
looking over the mountain at the people gathered there

“My pony was prepared
Soon we mounted and moved out to the rivers of black buffalo

“The hunt was good

“Arrows returned with food for the people
And the feast lasted many suns

“That was long ago
but my heart still remembers

“My heart thought the times of great excitement were lost forever

“Now my eyes are dim
My heart has worked for many seasons
But! My heart is excited as before the hunt
for time is good
Earth will belong to the nations again
Just as it was long ago

“I am prepared!
I will stand wit my nation and all nations
I will glide across the valley
like the shadow of a great eagle
upon my pony
upon native land I will again be human”

Brother sun looked strong upon the land when Grandfather ceased speaking. Shade was good. As is the “way” with our people we waited for Grandfather to continue. He was silent., but his heart was pounding like the life of earth. His heart listened to the gathering nations. His heart listened to the thunder of thousands of buffalo, running. His heart heard the moccasin walking upon native land. The buckskin, the people, the earth, again.

Grandfather’s feelings were in our hearts also.

Sul’ma’ejote

No comments: