Thursday, January 10, 2008

Darryl "Babe" Wilson

In 1939, Sul'ma'ejote, aka Darryl Babe Wilson, me, was born in Qatsade (Fall River Valley) on the north bank of Sul'ma'ejote (Fall River) at Fall River Mills, a stone toss from It'ajuma (Pit River). Just a few generations ago the male-child was named after the landscape where he was born. In this manner, I am Sul'ma'ejote. Like many native families at that time, my family shadowed in and out of civilization. When I was in the second grade in the Fall River Valley, my mother was killed in a lumber truck-automobile accident. The family shattered, the state caught us and we were scattered in California but out of our homeland. My three brothers and I stuck together. As is the practice of civilization, the girls were taken in a separate direction. Summers we managed to run back to our homeland, our people, the dream of life and the ancient dance of nature's powers. I managed to muddle through high school but failed to graduate, and for the sake of survival I joined the Marines. The service took me far away from the homeland but I dreamed about the teachings of the Elders and our "way." After my "hitch" I was logging in Oregon, met a girl, married and did a very poor job of settling into the "American Dream." We had three sons, Sonny, Lance and Cory. They all live in Washington state and now I am a grandfather. I was caught in the whirlwinds of the "Indian wars" of the 1960's, neglected my family and my wife divorced me. I met another girl. We ran into the safety of the mountains of northern California. In 1980 she gave birth to twin boys, Theo and Setorro (they are still with me). In a seat beltless car wreck she was killed. The twins were babies. Broken and our hearts bleeding we went back to the homeland and tried to survive. We did! In order to again survive, I entered U.C. Davis in 1989. After Davis I received a scholarship to the University of Arizona, completing all of the requirements for a pedigree. I became a Professor but "bleed" stroke cut my future to the quick.

All of my life I wanted to be a writer and tell stories. The early times of my life were published in a book in the '70's: The Morning the Sun Went Down. It is still available through Heyday books, Berkeley. Stroke has restricted any physical activity tolol (for eternity), but I still am capable of writing and teaching from a distance.

In my gnarled and old age, I look back across the ages and see with my heart that the wonder and magic of children can very well be the emotion that manages to hold earth close enough to sun to make life livable. My parting thought to this earth is captured in my last book length manuscript: Two Moon. Currently the twin boys and I are living in San Jose.

6 comments:

theoradic said...

Thank you Darryl Wilson for sharing these thoughts which I am still reading. I have read and greatly enjoyed The Morning the Sun Went Down. I grew up in San Bernardino Valley, but am writing from Stockholm Sweden. I have just said good-by to Neil Harvey who was here, and who delivered the CD with you three story-tellers, and told me about your blog. When I graduated high school, and the Vietnam war was raging, my confidence in the American Dream was extinguished and has not been rekindled. I began to develop reasoning like that on your blog: "God" does not approve of pagans, and "Democracy" excluded Native Americans from any participation in its workings up to 1928, when they were generously made "citizens" of their own homelands. The continent is my homeland, the nation built on it is its misfortune. I will continue reading your clear words with great appreciation. I have expressed some of my thoughts on Native California here: http://www.angelfire.com/sk/syukhtun/anthro.html

With respect,
Theo Radic

Northern Native said...

I have been looking for you as you have been a part of my childhood and close to our family here in Klamath Falls, it is so good to read your writings and your book The Morning The Sun Went Down, I bought one for Mother and my sister, which we all quickly read. Being raised in the southern state of Oklahoma, when I returned here in Gods country, I drove to Fall River, Ca to see if either of us changed. I will always hold you fondly in my heart. Maybe some day our path will meet again. Elaine Granillo Meeker

Unknown said...

Babe, It is wonderful that you are sharing your writings here on this blog. I think of you and the boys often and still read your words with great appreciation.

Our destinies indeed continue to overlap as I maintain the convictions we shared so long ago - for all beings, and for the Earth - that peace and balance may prevail once more.

Your words continue to inspire seekers of all walks of life... me among them.

All best wishes,
Kerry

Ninikah said...

My friend brought me THE MORNING THE SUN WENT DOWN yesterday and I can't wait to read all of your books!! I am also a member of the Pit River Nation and a graduate of University of California @ Davis! My Grandfather was Erin Forrest who advocated for our tribe on IHS projects for many years, but
he was a man of little words and passed little on. Thank You for writing your blog, sharing your thoughts and your lifelong commitment to our lost History/Language. I so look forward to sharing it with my children and someday making meaningful contributions to the Native Community. Bless you.

John Michael said...

Greetings Darryl,

A friend recently told me about a talk he went to of yours. He spoke of the warrior's code, as told by you, passed on from your auntie. I thought it perfect and would love to know if there is any place you have published it. If not, could you please post it sometime??

All blessings and gratitude,
John Michael

Coyote Woman said...

I would love to read - your Coyote and Silver Tail fox story againg

-little coyote
"Hahashkani - Coyote Woman"